Bay Park Sewage Treatment Plant
The Bay Park Sewage Treatment Plant (“Bay Park STP”) was originally constructed in the late 1940s, and was placed into operation in 1950. It was initially permitted for the treatment of 27 million gallons per day (MGD) of municipal sanitary waste. The plant was first expanded in 1960 to provide secondary treatment and increase its capacity to 60 MGD. Beginning in the mid-1980s, the plant was expanded again to increase its capacity to achieve secondary treatment of an average daily flow of 70 MGD. The plant currently treats on average 50 MGD of wastewater. The plant discharges its treated effluent into Reynolds Channel via an 84-inch diameter outfall pipe, which is approximately 2.3 miles long.
The sewage service area tributary to the Bay Park STP is approximately 70 square miles in the western portion of the County with an estimated population of approximately 550,000. The majority of the sanitary flow is from residential housing with the remainder from commercial establishments. There is a relatively insignificant flow (1.5%) from industrial facilities.
On October 29th 2012, Hurricane Sandy moved into the NY-NJ Metro area, causing widespread damage to Long Island. The Bay Park STP was among the facilities damaged by flooding, high winds, and power outages. Emergency efforts were put into place to return the Bay Park STP to service as soon as possible. However, many of the Bay Park STP facilities need to be rebuilt or replaced to ensure protection from future storms.
The Nassau County Department of Public Works has hired the Program Management joint venture Hazen & Sawyer and Arcadis team to recover and rebuild the Bay Park STP to better serve the more than half a million Nassau County residents who depend on it.